Independent Study FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions:
How will it support the Dual immersion of the student enrolled at MPS?
Can you please address the students that are in the Spanish and Mandarin Dual Immersion program? Do you have an option for them?
We are working to find an additional learning module for our dual immersion students. More info to come as we work with Dr. Kaiser and the principals at Plymouth & Monroe.
Do dual immersion students get their bilingual diploma if in independent study?
We are working with the dual immersion program to explore some possibilities.
So what school does my student/child sign up with of they have special needs? Are they enrolled in home school and attend Mt Park?
As far as IEP services, I believe he said they do not offer the services, but you can still receive them through the district/school?
Can you please clarify, will there be an RSP or OT option?
Can a student on RSP take independent study?
What about kids in 7th grade with an IEP student special day class?
We would need to schedule an IEP amendment meeting through the SPED department to see if a change of placement would be plausible. We would weigh all of your options and share your rights as a parent depending on any case.
Will the program provide special education services? Speech?
How are kids with IEP services handled?
Special Education students will continue to receive their services at their home schools. If they would like to transfer to Mountian Park, they need to have an IEP amendment meeting to see how to meet students' needs.
What do you mean by supports available?
Special accommodations are mandated by their 504 or IEP.
If my student is a senior this year at MHS if she finishes the two classes she needs to graduate through the independent study will she graduate with her MHS class or no?
Will my 8th-grade student be able to graduate with her class onstage with Clifton if she does the independent study?
No. The student will graduate/promote with the school they are enrolled in their last semester of school.
Can my kids attend Mountain park for fall and then transfer back to Monrovia high school for spring?
Will there be an option to move/ go back to another school (within the schoolyear) if we decide to do the traditional in-person class?
Can my student begin the year in independent study and then transfer to their home school after they is fully vaccinated?
Can do you independent study just for a few months until going back to regular school?
We want to wait until fully vaccinated to return in person.
Can my student go to virtual school then transition to in-person in the middle of the school year if the COVID numbers improve and are consistently low?
If this does not work for my child, is there an option to go back to traditional school mid-year? Yes.
Will there be a virtual option?
Only at Mountain Park.
RETURN TO HOME SCHOOL/REGISTRATION/ENROLLMENT:So do the middle schoolers take classes at the middle school as well?
If they chose the virtual method, no. It would be at Mountain Park School.
Do I disenroll my student from their home school prior to enrolling in the virtual program?
I have a 5-year-old boy. He didn't attend TK last year due to COVID. I would like to enroll him in Mountain Park and switch back Plymouth once he is vaccinated. What is the process since this is his first year in school?
Go to the district website to register him as a new student, then enroll him at our office August 9-13, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am-3:00 pm at 930 Royal Oaks Dr.
Do we need to fill out an enrollment packet before the 9th?
The enrollment packet can be filled out after the 9th. August 9-13, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am-3:00pm at 930 Royal Oaks Dr.
If my kid has already committed to Monrovia High School, and we are interested in changing to independent study, is that a smooth change?
Yes. Withdraw from MHS, then enroll at 930 Royal Oaks Dr. 8/9-13 between 8am and 3pm. Bring an ID and utility bill as proof of address.
How does the process for transferring back to our home school work?
Withdraw from Mountain Park, then enroll back at your home school.
So our kids can still do home school?
In essence, yes. Through Mt. Park Independent Study.
Do we have to sign up now or if COVID gets worse we can shift and join several months from now?
What steps will be required to reinstate students back in the traditional
classroom they were expected-- once the pandemic is under control?
Withdraw from Mountain Park, then enroll back at your home school.
How /when is the return to school handled? Do they get to go to their home school?
School starts Aug 18, 2021, and registration begins on August 9th at their home school.
When are the enrollment dates?
August 9th-13th, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Makeup day, August 17th, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Can you take AP's while in independent study?
Yes, you can take them at MHS simultaneously.
Does Mountain View have an Honors Program?
No. However, our classes are all rigorous, WASC accredited, NCAA/UC/CSU approved.
Can a middle schooler participate in the coding/ Avid program while in honors if enrolled in mountain park?
Students can dual enroll in Mountain Park and another school to take a class that we do not offer at Mountain Park School.
Will Monrovia high school have virtual classes or will they only be doing it in person?
In-person only.
Will my 6th grader have one teacher or multiple teachers?
K-8 graders will only have one teacher.
My student does better with virtual learning. Will you provide Monday through Friday for every class?
If staying all the way thru and graduating is there a ceremony where they will [walk] the stage?
Will all virtual classes be thru Mountain Park? Are they discontinuing at regular school sites?
Yes and yes.
As far as graduation requirements-is it the same as MHS or different?
Same with exception of the 2.0 GPA requirement.
Are they required to take the same amount of credits as they would at MHS and if not and they decide to go back to MHS-will they be behind in credits to graduate?
Yes, they will need the same amount of credits and will be on pace to graduate there.
If my student us taking honors classes will they receive the same via virtual?
Not as an official honors class, but still as a WASC accredited, NCAA approved, UC/CSU approved course.

Will the school district be hosting a similar information session for the in-person schools?
I am not aware of a planned session, but I will inquire.
I have not worked from the office since March 2020. Why should I send my child to school when 4,000 people daily are contracting COVID?
We offer the independent study option to meet your student’s academic needs and to keep them safe and healthy until numbers are down and vaccinations are up.
If we were assigned a Chromebook from our home school, do we need to return to our home school & does MP provide equipment?
Please return to your homeschool, then we will issue you another one.
Do kids graduate with diplomas or certificates?
Is the graduation process the same as MHS? Graduating ceremony with diplomas?
Can the presentation slides be sent to all of us via parents square?
My student is in MHS MASA. If she chooses independent learning, can she go back to MHS MASA after my 9-year-old is fully vaccinated?
Will the school district be hosting a similar information session for the in-person schools? I would like to know what to expect in order to make an informed decision.
One has yet to be scheduled.
Will there be a Parent Square post regarding class schedules for all grade levels before the start of registration next week?
I am not sure.
How does the curriculum compare to the in-person curriculum?
The curriculum is Common Core State Standards-aligned with the other MUSD school sites.
What is the ratio of student to staff
Approximately 16:1
Is there one teacher per grade or group of elementary kids?
Yes. Currently, we have one teacher serving all of our K-5 students. If the enrollment increases, we will hire an additional teacher.
If Independent Study has gone on in the past, how do the students fare (are scores equivalent) on state exams relative to students in the traditional in-person curriculum?
Very comparable, but most of the time higher.
Should we expect to supplement education?
We have suggestions for supplementing the education if it doesn’t seem like enough. For example, taking classes is free for high school students if enrolled at Mt. Park.
How can I make an appointment with the office?
Call Mr. McKendrick at (626) 471-3002.
Preguntas frecuentes:

¿Cómo apoyará la inmersión dual del estudiante matriculado en MPS?
¿Puede dirigirse a los estudiantes que están en el programa de inmersión dual en español y mandarín? ¿Tienes una opción para ellos?
Estamos trabajando para encontrar un módulo de aprendizaje adicional para nuestros estudiantes de inmersión dual. Más información próximamente mientras trabajamos con el Dr. Kaiser y los directores de Plymouth & Monroe.
¿Los estudiantes de inmersión dual obtienen su diploma bilingüe si están en estudio independiente?
Estamos trabajando con el programa de inmersión dual para explorar algunas posibilidades.

Entonces, ¿en qué escuela se inscribe mi estudiante / hijo si tiene necesidades especiales? ¿Están inscritos en la escuela en casa y asisten a Mt Park?

En cuanto a los servicios del IEP, creo que dijo que no ofrecen los servicios, pero que aún puede recibirlos a través del distrito / escuela.
¿Puede aclarar si habrá una opción de RSP u OT?
¿Puede un estudiante de RSP realizar un estudio independiente?
¿Qué pasa con los niños de séptimo grado con una clase diurna especial para estudiantes del IEP?
Necesitaríamos programar una reunión de enmienda del IEP a través del departamento de SPED para ver si un cambio de ubicación sería plausible. Sopesaríamos todas sus opciones y compartiríamos sus derechos como padre dependiendo de cualquier caso.

¿El programa proporcionará servicios de educación especial? ¿Habla?
¿Cómo se manejan los niños con servicios de IEP?
Los estudiantes de educación especial continuarán recibiendo sus servicios en sus escuelas de origen. Si les gustaría transferirse a Mountian Park, necesitan tener una reunión de enmienda del IEP para ver cómo satisfacer las necesidades de los estudiantes.

¿A qué se refiere con apoyos disponibles?
Las adaptaciones especiales son exigidas por su 504 o IEP.
Si mi estudiante es un estudiante de último año este año en MHS, si termina las dos clases que necesita para graduarse a través del estudio independiente, ¿se graduará con su clase de MHS o no?
¿Podrá mi estudiante de octavo grado graduarse con su clase en el escenario con Clifton si realiza el estudio independiente?
No. El estudiante se graduará / promoverá con la escuela en la que está inscrito en su último semestre de escuela.

¿Pueden mis hijos asistir a Mountain Park durante el otoño y luego volver a la escuela secundaria de Monrovia en la primavera?

¿Habrá una opción para mudarnos / regresar a otra escuela (dentro del año escolar) si decidimos hacer la clase tradicional en persona?

¿Puede mi estudiante comenzar el año en estudios independientes y luego transferirse a su escuela de origen después de que esté completamente vacunado?

¿Puedes estudiar de forma independiente solo por unos meses hasta que vuelvas a la escuela regular?
Queremos esperar hasta que estén completamente vacunados para regresar en persona.

¿Puede mi estudiante ir a una escuela virtual y luego hacer la transición en persona a la mitad del año escolar si los números de COVID mejoran y son consistentemente bajos?

Si esto no funciona para mi hijo, ¿hay alguna opción para volver a la escuela tradicional a mitad de año? sí.
¿Habrá una opción virtual?
Solo en Mountain Park.

REGRESO A LA ESCUELA ORIGINAL / REGISTRO / MATRÍCULA: Entonces, ¿los estudiantes de secundaria también toman clases en la escuela secundaria?
Si eligieron el método virtual, no. Sería en la escuela Mountain Park.
¿Debo dar de baja a mi estudiante de su escuela de origen antes de inscribirme en el programa virtual?

Tengo un niño de 5 años. No asistió a TK el año pasado debido a COVID. Me gustaría inscribirlo en Mountain Park y volver a Plymouth una vez que esté vacunado. ¿Cuál es el proceso ya que este es su primer año en la escuela?
Vaya al sitio web del distrito para registrarlo como un nuevo estudiante, luego inscríbalo en nuestra oficina del 9 al 13 de agosto, de lunes a viernes, de 8:00 am a 3:00 pm en 930 Royal Oaks Dr.

¿Necesitamos completar un paquete de inscripción antes del día 9?
El paquete de inscripción se puede completar después del día 9. 9-13 de agosto, de lunes a viernes, de 8:00 a. M. A 3:00 p. M. En 930 Royal Oaks Dr.

Si mi hijo ya se ha comprometido con Monrovia High School y estamos interesados ​​en cambiar a estudios independientes, ¿es un cambio sencillo?
sí. Retírese de MHS, luego inscríbase en 930 Royal Oaks Dr. 8 / 9-13 entre las 8 am y las 3 pm. Traiga una identificación y factura de servicios públicos como comprobante de domicilio.

¿Cómo funciona el proceso de transferencia de regreso a nuestra escuela en casa?
Retírese de Mountain Park, luego inscríbase nuevamente en su escuela de origen.

¿Entonces nuestros hijos todavía pueden asistir a la escuela en casa?
En esencia, sí. A través del monte. Estudio independiente del parque.

¿Tenemos que registrarnos ahora o si COVID empeora podemos cambiar y unirnos dentro de varios meses?

¿Qué pasos se requerirán para reintegrar a los estudiantes al sistema tradicional?
aula se les esperaba, una vez que la pandemia esté bajo control?
Retírese de Mountain Park, luego inscríbase nuevamente en su escuela de origen.

¿Cómo / cuándo se maneja el regreso a la escuela? ¿Pueden ir a la escuela de su casa?
La escuela comienza el 18 de agosto de 2021 y la inscripción comienza el 9 de agosto en su escuela local.

¿Cuándo son las fechas de inscripción?
9-13 de agosto, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Día de recuperación, 17 de agosto, de 8:00 a. M. A 3:00 p. M.

¿Puedes tomar AP mientras estudias de forma independiente?
Sí, puede tomarlos en MHS simultáneamente.
¿Mountain View tiene un programa de honores?
No. Sin embargo, nuestras clases son todas rigurosas, acreditadas por WASC, aprobadas por NCAA / UC / CSU.

¿Puede un estudiante de secundaria participar en el programa de codificación / Avid mientras está en honores si está inscrito en Mountain Park?
Los estudiantes pueden inscribirse doblemente en Mountain Park y en otra escuela para tomar una clase que no ofrecemos en la escuela Mountain Park.

¿La escuela secundaria de Monrovia tendrá clases virtuales o solo lo harán en persona?
Solo en persona.

¿Mi hijo de sexto grado tendrá un maestro o varios maestros?
Los grados K-8 solo tendrán un maestro.

A mi alumno le va mejor con el aprendizaje virtual. ¿Proporcionará de lunes a viernes para cada clase?

Si se quedan hasta el final y se gradúan, ¿hay una ceremonia en la que [caminarán] el escenario?

¿Todas las clases virtuales serán a través de Mountain Park? ¿Están descontinuando en los sitios escolares regulares?
Si y si.

En cuanto a los requisitos de graduación, ¿es lo mismo que MHS o es diferente?
Lo mismo con la excepción del requisito de 2.0 GPA.

¿Se les requiere que tomen la misma cantidad de créditos que tomarían en MHS y si no y deciden regresar a MHS, estarán atrasados ​​en créditos para graduarse?
Sí, necesitarán la misma cantidad de créditos y estarán en camino de graduarse allí.

Si mi alumno toma clases de honor, ¿recibirá lo mismo vía virtual?
No como una clase oficial de honores, pero sí como un curso acreditado por WASC, aprobado por la NCAA y aprobado por UC / CSU.
¿El distrito escolar organizará una sesión de información similar para las escuelas en persona?
No tengo conocimiento de una sesión planificada, pero preguntaré.

No he trabajado desde la oficina desde marzo de 2020. ¿Por qué debería enviar a mi hijo a la escuela cuando 4.000 personas contraen COVID diariamente?
Ofrecemos la opción de estudio independiente para satisfacer las necesidades académicas de su estudiante y mantenerlos seguros y saludables hasta que disminuyan los números y aumenten las vacunas.

Si nos asignaron un Chromebook de nuestra escuela de origen, ¿tenemos que regresar a nuestra escuela de origen? ¿MP proporciona equipo?
Regrese a su escuela en casa, luego le enviaremos otra.

¿Se gradúan los niños con diplomas o certificados?

¿El proceso de graduación es el mismo que el de MHS? ¿Ceremonia de graduación con diplomas?

¿Se pueden enviar las diapositivas de la presentación a todos a través de la plaza de los padres?

Mi estudiante está en MHS MASA. Si elige el aprendizaje independiente, ¿puede volver a MHS MASA después de que mi hijo de 9 años esté completamente vacunado?

¿El distrito escolar organizará una sesión de información similar para las escuelas en persona? Me gustaría saber qué esperar para tomar una decisión informada.
Aún no se ha programado uno.

¿Habrá una publicación de Parent Square con respecto a los horarios de clases para todos los niveles de grado antes del inicio de la inscripción la próxima semana?
No estoy seguro.

¿Cómo se compara el plan de estudios con el plan de estudios presencial?
El plan de estudios está alineado con los Estándares Estatales Básicos Comunes con los otros sitios escolares del MUSD.

¿Cuál es la proporción de estudiantes por personal?
Aproximadamente 16: 1

¿Hay un maestro por grado o grupo de niños de primaria?
sí. Actualmente, tenemos un maestro que atiende a todos nuestros estudiantes de K-5. Si la inscripción aumenta, contrataremos a un maestro adicional.

Si el Estudio Independiente se ha llevado a cabo en el pasado, ¿cómo les va a los estudiantes (son las puntuaciones equivalentes) en los exámenes estatales en relación con los estudiantes en el plan de estudios presencial tradicional?
Muy comparable, pero la mayoría de las veces superior.

¿Deberíamos esperar complementar la educación?
Tenemos sugerencias para complementar la educación si no parece suficiente. Por ejemplo, tomar clases es gratis para los estudiantes de secundaria si están inscritos en Mt. Parque.

¿Cómo puedo concertar una cita con la oficina?
Llame al Sr. McKendrick al (626) 471-3002.